23 March 2014

FAST AND FURIOUS

I don't know when I got it in my head that this would be a good idea, but I decided I wanted to do a sugar detox. Maybe after all of the holidays and this horrible endless winter I felt like I needed to reset my body and my eating habits for spring.

In any case, I found all this stuff online about how when you eat sugar it does the exact same thing to the dopamine receptors in your brain as nicotine or alcohol. Then I bought a book "The Blood Sugar Detox Diet". This detox purports to rid the body of all manner of toxins and who the hell wants toxins anyway? Surprisingly, Sam was game to detox too. Sam has never had to restrict his eating in his life. I once asked him if there was anything he wouldn't eat and he thought about it for a minute, and then said, "I don't think I'd eat another human being".

We are on day 5 of the detox, which means no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no dairy, no carbs, very few fruits, no grains, and even no beans for 5 days. What the hell do we eat then?  Nuts. Lots and lots of nuts.  And seeds.  Our pantry looks like it was stocked by Tweety. Conversely, we also eat a lot of eggs. And a mountain of dark leafy greens and other vegetables. Like a goat.  So it's like a petting zoo here.    

Despite the detox's assertions that we will feel like superheroes any day now we are both still tired and cranky. But that's kind of the point, isn't it?  I was trying to recall the last time I went an entire day without any sort of caffeine... uuuummmm 13 years old?  12?  Hell, it was the 80's and Tab was ever present in our house so maybe I was even younger.  And the fact that I've had splitting headaches every day since I've given up caffeine indicates to me that perhaps my head was a little too reliant on the stuff to function. 

We'll see how this wackadoo self-experiment progresses but it's been interesting to see how strongly my body has reacted to giving up a bunch of stuff I don't actually need to eat in order to live. I think I will change some habits as a result of this but I am still counting the hours until I can imbibe a luscious, creamy (decaf soy) latte....



No comments:

Post a Comment